Sunday, January 10, 2010

Teaching Outside the Standards

I know it's sad that many times the teaching of good behavior and sometimes ethical behavior falls to the schools rather than the parents. While I don't presume that we can teach everything a child needs to know about treating and interacting with others in the short 180 days we spend with them, I don think it's important that we use each and every one of those days to set good examples for them and show them some guiding principals. I came across this website with some good lesson plans for 'teachable moments'. I especially like the lessons on teaching the children to listen. I think those could be worked into any elementary school classroom. There are also lessons on respecting differences and being peacemakers. The site also links to activities for Middle and High School students.

No comments:

Post a Comment